This is an amazing side dish! It’s very decadent with cream, butter and bacon but worth every calorie. We have twice baked potato casserole every Christmas with our prime rib. I adapted this from an Emeril Lagasse recipe I found years ago. One note, don’t use an electric mixer; it makes the potatoes too soupy. It’s better a little chunky, just like me!
- 5 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes, baked
- 8 tbsp. Butter (1 stick)
- 3/4 cup Sour cream
- 1/2 cup Heavy cream
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. Pepper
- 3/4 lbs. Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 cups Sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Green onion, finely chopped
- 2 Eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice cooled, baked potatoes in half, lengthwise. Scoop the flesh out of the skins, getting as much as you can, and place in a large bowl.
- Add butter, sour cream, heavy cream, salt, pepper and eggs and mash until chunky-smooth.
- Add bacon, 1/2 of the cheese, and green onions and mix well.
- Pour mixture into a buttered casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese and bake for 35-40 minutes or until brown and bubbly.