If you need an easy meal, especially for a crowd, these easy chicken fajitas are the answer! Slice, marinate, dump, cook and serve. I told you it was easy!
This recipe takes a few minutes to prep and only 30 minutes to cook. Did I mention that you won’t even have to wash a pan?
Prep for this dish isn’t too bad. You’ll need to slice peppers, onions and chicken into strips. You could buy chicken tenders to make it even easier but they’re kind of pricey. It only took me about 15 minutes to slice eight chicken breasts into strips.
The recipe for the marinade will serve four people. To multiply, figure about half a chicken breast, half an onion and one bell pepper per person. Make one batch of marinade for every four servings. I used eight chicken breasts for 12 people and it was way too much.
Mix the marinade ingredients in a medium bowl. I use my glass, four-cup measuring dish. Put the chicken in one (or more) big Ziplock bag and the veggies in another. Pour half of the marinade in each bag and squish it around so that everything is covered. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes but not much more than an hour.
Cover a large sheet pan with foil and spray with non-stick spray. Dump the chicken and veggies on the pan and cook at 425° for 30 minutes. Yep, it’s really that easy!
Using a buffet line is definitely the easiest way to serve fajitas to a bunch of people. I dumped the meat and veggies into a big serving dish and put cute tongs with it. Then I laid out the rest of the fillings.
Make sure you have all of the fixings:
- warm tortillas
- grated cheese
- sour cream
- lime wedges
- avocados or guacamole
- pickled jalapenos
- salsa or pico de gallo
- chopped cilantro
You could add Spanish rice and beans as side dishes, but you really don’t need them. Fajitas are pretty filling!
If I have leftover steak, I use this recipe for the veggies only and just toss room temperature steak in after it cooks. Here’s the recipe so you can print it out.
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- 4 bell peppers in assorted colors, sliced into strips
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup olive oil (or whatever oil you prefer)
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tspn. cumin
- 1/2 tspn. coriander
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- In a medium bowl, whisk ingredients for marinade together.
- Place chicken strips in a large Ziplock bag and veggies in another.
- Pour half of the marinade into each bag and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes but not much more than an hour.
- Cover a large sheet pan with foil and spray with non-stick spray. Dump the chicken and veggies on the pan and roast at 425 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Serve on warm tortillas with fixings like grated cheese, sour cream, guacamole, jalapenos, lime wedges, salsa, etc.
- This recipe can be easily multiplied. Figure about 1/2 chicken breast, 1 bell pepper and 1/2 onion for each person. Use one batch of marinade for every four servings.